Doing hard time in China's Jixi prison labor camp takes on a bold new level of hardship.
This is quite possibly the most ridiculous "sad but true" tale we have heard in a while. The above image is not a picture of a Chinese Prison, but is in fact a castle depicted in Blizzard's MMO sensation, World of Warcraft. However, through some insane twist of fate, they might just represent the same thing for prisoners doing time in China's Jixi prison labor camp, according to this report from Guardian.co.uk.
Liu Dali, 54-year-old, was a former prison guard who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown. While doing time at Chin's Jixi re-education-through-labour camp in Heilongjiang province, Liu went through daily hard work from breaking rocks and digging trenches in the day, to slaying dragons, undead, and numerous other demons you can come up with in a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) in the night.
"Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labour. There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000rmb [£470-570] a day. We didn't see any of the money. The computers were never turned off. If I couldn't complete my work quota, they would punish me physically. They would make me stand with my hands raised in the air and after I returned to my dormitory they would beat me with plastic pipes. We kept playing until we could barely see things,"
Among all the backbreaking hardship Liu endured at the prison, it was the forced online gaming that haunted him most. That's saying a lot, given his other daily tasks included breaking rocks, digging trenches, carving chopsticks and toothpicks out of plank of woods, assembling car seat covers to be exported to South Korea and Japan, as well as memorizing communist literature to "pay off his debt to society".
Prison official at the central office for labour camps in Heilongjiang have expectedly denied that such activities took place, according to this report from telegraph.co.uk.
“We do not allow our inmates to do high-risk occupations, such as coal-mining. We do not have large numbers of computers. And we do not allow our prisoners to have any contact with the outside world. If they were playing these online games they could easily communicate with other people. We would never allow that.”
While gold-farming sweat shops in China aren't really news by now, gold-farming prison is as surreal as they come in the dystopic pre-apocalyptic present. In the same report by Guardian.co.uk, billions in revenue have been generated from China's virtual gold trade, which was estimated to be holding 80% of the world's gold farming population.
- ► 2012 (378)
- The Fastest and Funniest LEGO Star Wars story ever...
- Doom's Original Box Art Reimagined
- Tokyo Game Show Girl Returns
- The Troll Hunter Preview: Undead Monday
- Green Lantern: Rise Of The Manhunter: New Screensh...
- BioShock Infinite's Propaganda Art
- X-Men: First Class' X-Change Students
- Hot Toys' Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectib...
- Once Upon a Time: First Look
- Thor is Red Hot
- CDC Releases Official Advisories for Zombie Apocal...
- Chinese Prisoners Forced to Farm MMO Gold by night...
- Macho Man Takes Out Jesus with a Flying Elbow, Put...
- Real Steel Preview: New Trailer, Poster, Stills, &...
- Kirby: Genesis Preview
- Brock Lesnar's Death Clutch: My Story of Determina...
- Play For Japan: The Album
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy Continues with Your Favorite...
- The Greatest Stare Down Contest EVER
- Watch Chick Online
- Call of Pikacthulhu
- Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein Returns: Undead Mo...
- Five Marvel Supervillains Reimagined
- WWE Over the Limit Preview
- Nike Chase by ilovedust
- R. I. P. "Macho Man" Randy Savage (1952 – 2011)
- Superheroes Battered & Bruised
- First Picture of Tom Hardy as Bane in The Dark Kni...
- The Art of Thor Preview
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy Continues with the Fall of a...
- Gotham City Impostors Announced
- Dead Island's 'Tragedy Hits Paradise' Teaser Trail...
- J. J. Abrams' Alcatraz: First Look
- Olly Moss's Resistance 3 Box Art
- Awake: First Look
- Singapore: Sex World?
- The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicor...
- Laura Shigihara's Live Renditions of "Zombies On Y...
- Behold the Might of VolTRON
- PlayStation Network Returns...With Free Goodies!
- The Ambiguously Gay Duo goes Live-Action!
- Uncovering Secrets of Odin’s Vault & Other Easter ...
- Tyler Stout Does Akira
- Fright Night Preview: Undead Monday
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2: New Images
- Star Wars vs. Singapore General Election 2011: The...
- Thor is Jericho
- Tekken: Blood Vengeance: First Look
- Rammbock: Berlin Undead: Zombie of the Week
- DC Flashpoint: First Look
- Conan the Barbarian Preview: New Poster
- Soulcalibur V Announced! Trailer & Character Art
- The Future Preview: Trailer & Poster
- Soulcalibur's Breast Size Regulator Chart
- John Constantine leads the DC Universe in "The Sea...
- Hanna Preview: Clips & Posters
- Superheroes Vs. Zombies: Undead Monday
- L.A. Noire Wallpapers
- Star Wars Vs. Singapore General Election 2011
- Conan the Barbarian Preview: Full Theatrical Trail...
- The Singapore General Election 2011 is Over
- Happy Mother's Day From Prototype 2
- X-Men: First Class Preview: Character Trailers & N...
- Green Lantern: New Theatrical Trailer
- The Green Goliath Got The Dark Knight Covered
- Call of the Dead: Zombie of the Week
- Happy Star Wars Day, 2011
- David Aja’s 5 Ronin Cover Processes
- Video Games' Fatalities Overdrive
- First Promotional Art for Space Pirate Cobra Film ...
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy Continues With An Outworld T...
- How To Make A Horror, Animated Or Action Movie
- Joker Screams
- Electricity Conservation Posters In The Aftermath ...
- Bobby Yeah: Undead Monday
- Upside Down Preview
- WWE Extreme Rules Preview
- Superman: American No More
- Green Lantern Preview: New Posters & Trailer
- ▼ May (80)
- ► 2010 (583)