With the television adaptation of Bill Willingham's critically acclaimed Vertigo comic, Fables, trapped in development hell, will ABC's Once Upon a Time satisfy your need of a TV series with a fairy tale undertone? Or do you really need one at that?
Continuing our coverage on on the upcoming new TV series set to debut next season, we take a look at the slate of forthcoming new dramas and comedies from ABC. With the cancellation of the sci-fi drama V and superhero drama No Ordinary Family among others, many new series have been picked up as a result.
However, apart from Steven Spielberg (yes, he is indeed busy with the TV scene too) and Oren Peli (the creator of "Paranormal Activity")'s sci-fi/horror/mokumentary series, The River, we do not see many likely gem from the announcement new series. While the remake of Charlie’s Angels is leading the pack for obvious reasons, we are not too positive over the prospect based on what we saw. On the other hand, we noticed the lower profile "Once Upon a Time" to be an item of interest.
Created by Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz (known for their work on Lost), Once Upon a Time tells a tale set in a New England town called Storybrooke, Maine. Unbeknown to all (even its residents), the town is actually a timeless world where the fairy tale characters are trapped, losing the memories of their fantastical past lives. When Emma Swan (House's Jennifer Morrison), a bail bonds collector arrives at the town with her recently reunited son who she have given up for adoption ten years earlier, intrigue and adventures kick off in the real world as they uncover the truth about the town... and themselves.
Apart from Jennifer Morrison in the leading role, Once Upon a Time also featured Ginnifer Goodwin as Mary Margaret Blanchard (who is actually Snow White), and Robert Carlyle as Mr. Gold (who is actually Rumplestiltskin). Reportedly, both Horowitz and Kitsis originally wanted to bring the concept to the small screen seven years prior to coming aboard Lost, but later opted to focus on the project only after the cseries was over. For fans of Bill Willingham's critically acclaimed Vertigo comic, Fables, this is probably as close as you can get to the real deal.
Hit the jump to check out the trailer, followed by the full synopsis of the series.
From the inventive minds of "Lost" executive producers Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis comes a bold new imagining of the world, where fairy tales and the modern-day are about to collide.
And they all lived happily ever after - or so everyone was led to believe. Emma Swan knows how to take care of herself. She's a 28-year-old bail bonds collector who's been on her own ever since she was abandoned as a baby. But when the son she gave up years ago finds her, everything starts to change. Henry is now 10 years old and in desperate need of Emma's help. He believes that Emma actually comes from an alternate world and is Snow White and Prince Charming's missing daughter. According to his book of fairytales, they sent her away to protect her from the Evil Queen's curse, which trapped the fairytale world forever, frozen in time, and brought them into our modern world. Of course Emma doesn't believe a word, but when she brings Henry back to Storybrooke, she finds herself drawn to this unusual boy and his strange New England town. Concerned for Henry, she decides to stay for a while, but she soon suspects that Storybrooke is more than it seems. It's a place where magic has been forgotten, but is still powerfully close... where fairytale characters are alive, even though they don't remember who they once were. The epic battle for the future of all worlds is beginning, but for good to win, Emma will have to accept her destiny and fight like hell.
"Once Upon a Time" stars Ginnifer Goodwin ("Big Love") as Snow White/Sister Mary Margaret, Jennifer Morrison ("House MD") as Emma Swan, Robert Carlyle ("The Full Monty," "Trainspotting," "SGU Stargate Universe") as Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold, Lana Parrilla as Evil Queen/Regina, Jamie Dornan as Sheriff Graham, Jared Gilmore ("Mad Men") as Henry, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/John Doe and Raphael Sbarge as Jiminy Cricket/Archie. "Once Upon a Time" was written by Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, who are also executive producers, along with Steve Pearlman (ABC's "V"). The pilot is directed and executive-produced by Mark Mylod ("Entourage"). "Once Upon a Time" is from ABC Studios.
And here are some of the set pictures released by ABC.
- ► 2012 (378)
- The Fastest and Funniest LEGO Star Wars story ever...
- Doom's Original Box Art Reimagined
- Tokyo Game Show Girl Returns
- The Troll Hunter Preview: Undead Monday
- Green Lantern: Rise Of The Manhunter: New Screensh...
- BioShock Infinite's Propaganda Art
- X-Men: First Class' X-Change Students
- Hot Toys' Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectib...
- Once Upon a Time: First Look
- Thor is Red Hot
- CDC Releases Official Advisories for Zombie Apocal...
- Chinese Prisoners Forced to Farm MMO Gold by night...
- Macho Man Takes Out Jesus with a Flying Elbow, Put...
- Real Steel Preview: New Trailer, Poster, Stills, &...
- Kirby: Genesis Preview
- Brock Lesnar's Death Clutch: My Story of Determina...
- Play For Japan: The Album
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy Continues with Your Favorite...
- The Greatest Stare Down Contest EVER
- Watch Chick Online
- Call of Pikacthulhu
- Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein Returns: Undead Mo...
- Five Marvel Supervillains Reimagined
- WWE Over the Limit Preview
- Nike Chase by ilovedust
- R. I. P. "Macho Man" Randy Savage (1952 – 2011)
- Superheroes Battered & Bruised
- First Picture of Tom Hardy as Bane in The Dark Kni...
- The Art of Thor Preview
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy Continues with the Fall of a...
- Gotham City Impostors Announced
- Dead Island's 'Tragedy Hits Paradise' Teaser Trail...
- J. J. Abrams' Alcatraz: First Look
- Olly Moss's Resistance 3 Box Art
- Awake: First Look
- Singapore: Sex World?
- The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicor...
- Laura Shigihara's Live Renditions of "Zombies On Y...
- Behold the Might of VolTRON
- PlayStation Network Returns...With Free Goodies!
- The Ambiguously Gay Duo goes Live-Action!
- Uncovering Secrets of Odin’s Vault & Other Easter ...
- Tyler Stout Does Akira
- Fright Night Preview: Undead Monday
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2: New Images
- Star Wars vs. Singapore General Election 2011: The...
- Thor is Jericho
- Tekken: Blood Vengeance: First Look
- Rammbock: Berlin Undead: Zombie of the Week
- DC Flashpoint: First Look
- Conan the Barbarian Preview: New Poster
- Soulcalibur V Announced! Trailer & Character Art
- The Future Preview: Trailer & Poster
- Soulcalibur's Breast Size Regulator Chart
- John Constantine leads the DC Universe in "The Sea...
- Hanna Preview: Clips & Posters
- Superheroes Vs. Zombies: Undead Monday
- L.A. Noire Wallpapers
- Star Wars Vs. Singapore General Election 2011
- Conan the Barbarian Preview: Full Theatrical Trail...
- The Singapore General Election 2011 is Over
- Happy Mother's Day From Prototype 2
- X-Men: First Class Preview: Character Trailers & N...
- Green Lantern: New Theatrical Trailer
- The Green Goliath Got The Dark Knight Covered
- Call of the Dead: Zombie of the Week
- Happy Star Wars Day, 2011
- David Aja’s 5 Ronin Cover Processes
- Video Games' Fatalities Overdrive
- First Promotional Art for Space Pirate Cobra Film ...
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy Continues With An Outworld T...
- How To Make A Horror, Animated Or Action Movie
- Joker Screams
- Electricity Conservation Posters In The Aftermath ...
- Bobby Yeah: Undead Monday
- Upside Down Preview
- WWE Extreme Rules Preview
- Superman: American No More
- Green Lantern Preview: New Posters & Trailer
- ▼ May (80)
- ► 2010 (583)