This is The Daily Zombies and the hell with politics here. But here are some notes that caught our eyes.
Okay, this is where I relented. The Singapore General Election 2011 is finally over. As much of a political radical that I am, I have fought rigorously in my internal struggle against raising more political awareness via The Daily Zombies here. I do not want any political color here and we certainly do not have the time and leisure to entertain the thought of that.
With the closure of the landmark election filled with unprecedented emotions, the single one person that no self-respecting Singaporeans aren't in awe of would have to be Nicole Seah, the rookie National Solidarity Party (NSP) Candidate for Marine Parade GRC that shook the nation. The 24-year-old set the local media on fire, beat the country's father in Facebook, and made it to CNN (video embedded below).
As much as it excited us with the emergence of this new rising star in the otherwise dead local political scene here in Singapore, we are saddened with the fall of Mr. and Mrs. Chiam See Thong, as well as overjoyed by the extremely well-executed takedown of the Ajunied GRC.
Nicole Seah has posted a letter to numerous local media including Temasek Review, on her final thoughts, which coincided with our views so much that we felt like lazily making reference to her letter as a closure to this watershed election of Singapore.
My friends, my fellow Singaporeans,
We may have lost an election but tonight we have rediscovered something so much more valuable – the pride of being Singaporeans. My fellow party members and I began all of this because we felt that we needed to speak up not just for you, but also ourselves.
The competition has been robust; sides were taken and things were said. But now that the contest is over, we must come together as one country and work to build that future we want.
When we choose our leaders, we ask of them not just their industry but also their judgment. We may not always agree with our government, but it is our responsibility to engage them in intelligent debate so that policies made in our name serve the common good.
Tonight our hearts are with Mr Low Thia Kiang and the Worker’s Party. They have made political history in Singapore and they have made us proud. For the next 5 years, we will depend on them to be our voices in Parliament. We are comforted that we will be well represented.
The great joy we feel at the election of the Worker’s Party is matched only by our profound sadness at the exit tonight of two great men from the political scene.
We want to pay tribute to Mr George Yeo, the outgoing Foreign Minister. Not since the tenure of the late Mr S Rajaratnam has anyone defined our foreign policy like Mr Yeo. A soldier, a scholar, a statesman. And to top it all off, a perfect gentleman. We hope that he will consider a run for the Presidency later this year. We believe he will be another peoples’ President and we cannot think of a better person to continue representing us to the world.
We also want to express our gratitude to Mr Chiam See Tong who together with the late J B Jeyaretnam fought for ordinary Singaporeans at a time when it was much tougher for opposition politicians. Mr Chiam, all Singaporeans owe you a debt of gratitude and we salute you. We will carry on the work you began.
And so my friends, in closing I just want to remind all of you that while the votes have been cast and tallied, the work has just begun.
We know the kind of Singapore we want – we have been talking about it for months now. The time for talk is over; lets get it done.
NSP Candidate for Marine Parade GRC
And it is here we pay our tribute to Mr. Chiam See Tong ourselves. A class act down to the very end, we salute one of the toughest fighters in the history of Singapore opposition. While many comfortably numb Singaporean easily overlooked the numerous achievements of Mr. Chiam and the late great J B Jeyaretnam, we here at The Daily Zombies are certain that the heroics of both pioneers would live on in impressive rookies like Benjamin Pwee and the aforementioned Nicole Seah.
Photo Source: CNNGO
- ► 2012 (378)
- The Fastest and Funniest LEGO Star Wars story ever...
- Doom's Original Box Art Reimagined
- Tokyo Game Show Girl Returns
- The Troll Hunter Preview: Undead Monday
- Green Lantern: Rise Of The Manhunter: New Screensh...
- BioShock Infinite's Propaganda Art
- X-Men: First Class' X-Change Students
- Hot Toys' Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectib...
- Once Upon a Time: First Look
- Thor is Red Hot
- CDC Releases Official Advisories for Zombie Apocal...
- Chinese Prisoners Forced to Farm MMO Gold by night...
- Macho Man Takes Out Jesus with a Flying Elbow, Put...
- Real Steel Preview: New Trailer, Poster, Stills, &...
- Kirby: Genesis Preview
- Brock Lesnar's Death Clutch: My Story of Determina...
- Play For Japan: The Album
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy Continues with Your Favorite...
- The Greatest Stare Down Contest EVER
- Watch Chick Online
- Call of Pikacthulhu
- Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein Returns: Undead Mo...
- Five Marvel Supervillains Reimagined
- WWE Over the Limit Preview
- Nike Chase by ilovedust
- R. I. P. "Macho Man" Randy Savage (1952 – 2011)
- Superheroes Battered & Bruised
- First Picture of Tom Hardy as Bane in The Dark Kni...
- The Art of Thor Preview
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy Continues with the Fall of a...
- Gotham City Impostors Announced
- Dead Island's 'Tragedy Hits Paradise' Teaser Trail...
- J. J. Abrams' Alcatraz: First Look
- Olly Moss's Resistance 3 Box Art
- Awake: First Look
- Singapore: Sex World?
- The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicor...
- Laura Shigihara's Live Renditions of "Zombies On Y...
- Behold the Might of VolTRON
- PlayStation Network Returns...With Free Goodies!
- The Ambiguously Gay Duo goes Live-Action!
- Uncovering Secrets of Odin’s Vault & Other Easter ...
- Tyler Stout Does Akira
- Fright Night Preview: Undead Monday
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2: New Images
- Star Wars vs. Singapore General Election 2011: The...
- Thor is Jericho
- Tekken: Blood Vengeance: First Look
- Rammbock: Berlin Undead: Zombie of the Week
- DC Flashpoint: First Look
- Conan the Barbarian Preview: New Poster
- Soulcalibur V Announced! Trailer & Character Art
- The Future Preview: Trailer & Poster
- Soulcalibur's Breast Size Regulator Chart
- John Constantine leads the DC Universe in "The Sea...
- Hanna Preview: Clips & Posters
- Superheroes Vs. Zombies: Undead Monday
- L.A. Noire Wallpapers
- Star Wars Vs. Singapore General Election 2011
- Conan the Barbarian Preview: Full Theatrical Trail...
- The Singapore General Election 2011 is Over
- Happy Mother's Day From Prototype 2
- X-Men: First Class Preview: Character Trailers & N...
- Green Lantern: New Theatrical Trailer
- The Green Goliath Got The Dark Knight Covered
- Call of the Dead: Zombie of the Week
- Happy Star Wars Day, 2011
- David Aja’s 5 Ronin Cover Processes
- Video Games' Fatalities Overdrive
- First Promotional Art for Space Pirate Cobra Film ...
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy Continues With An Outworld T...
- How To Make A Horror, Animated Or Action Movie
- Joker Screams
- Electricity Conservation Posters In The Aftermath ...
- Bobby Yeah: Undead Monday
- Upside Down Preview
- WWE Extreme Rules Preview
- Superman: American No More
- Green Lantern Preview: New Posters & Trailer
- ▼ May (80)
- ► 2010 (583)