Philip K. Dick's classic short story, "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale," gets a second Hollywood treatment with Len Wiseman's Total Recall. We take a first look at the film with the release of its first trailer.
First published in 1966, "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" has proven to be one of Philip K. Dick's most beloved works with both its intriguing take on reality and identity as well as its perceived marketability to be made into big budget Hollywood action blockbusters now that an all-new live-action take on Total Recall will be released this August.
Directed by Len Wiseman, who previously brought us the "Underworld" film franchise and 2007's Live Free or Die Hard, Total Recall features Colin Farrell as Douglas "Doug" Quaid, the character famously portrayed by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the well-regarded 1990 film of the same name directed by Paul Verhoeven. Rounding out the cast is Wiseman's wife, Kate Beckinsale, as Lori (the role portrayed by Sharon Stone in the original), Jessica Biel as Melina, the rebel fighter, Bill Nighy as a Euromerican rebel leader, and finally, Bryan Cranston as Vilos Cohaagen, the main antagonist.
With allusion to travels to Mars being eliminated, Wiseman did promised that the new film will still be featuring some of the quirky element of Verhoeven's original film.
Without further ado, hit the jump to check out the first official trailer of the film (head to Apple to check out the trailer in HD):
Columbia Pictures has released two special motion for the film as embedded in the YouTube videos below.
And here are the conventional posters released for the film thus far.
Here’s the official synopsis for the film:
Total Recall is an action thriller about reality and memory, inspired anew by the famous short story “We Can Remember It For You Wholesale” by Philip K. Dick. Welcome to Rekall, the company that can turn your dreams into real memories. For a factory worker named Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell), even though he’s got a beautiful wife (Kate Beckinsale) whom he loves, the mind-trip sounds like the perfect vacation from his frustrating life – real memories of life as a super-spy might be just what he needs. But when the procedure goes horribly wrong, Quaid becomes a hunted man. Finding himself on the run from the police – controlled by Chancellor Cohaagen (Bryan Cranston) – there is no one Quaid can trust, except possibly a rebel fighter (Jessica Biel) working for the head of the underground resistance (Bill Nighy). The line between fantasy and reality gets blurred and the fate of his world hangs in the balance as Quaid discovers his true identity, his true love, and his true fate. The film is directed by Len Wiseman. The screenplay is by Kurt Wimmer and Mark Bomback and the screen story is by Ronald Shusett & Dan O’Bannon and Jon Povill. The producers are Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe.
Total Recall is currently scheduled to be released in the United States and Canada on August 3rd, 2012.
- Prometheus: New Trailer - Undead Monday
- WWE Extreme Rules Preview
- The Avengers XXX: A Porn Parody: First Trailer & P...
- The Cabin in the Woods: Zombie of the Week
- The Avengers: Mondo Poster Series Complete
- The Avengers: Art Inspired by the Film
- Batman: Arkham City Game of the Year Edition Annou...
- Olli Hihnala's Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Un...
- るろうに剣心 Rurouni Kenshin: Full Trailer
- G.I. Joe: Retaliation - New Character Posters
- The Laughing Dead: Zombie of the Week
- God of War: Ascension - First Look
- Prometheus: David 8 Viral Campaign & New Images
- The Amazing Spider-Man: New Trailer & Poster
- Night of the Living: Undead Monday
- The Avengers: New Wallpapers
- Looper: First Look
- Resident Evil 6: First Look - Zombie of the Week
- Django Unchained: First Look
- Star Wars: The Last Airbender
- Hunger Games Barbie Doll
- Hotel Transylvania: First Trailer - Undead Monday
- The Dark Knight Rises - In LEGO Form & Hong Kong B...
- The Avengers: New Clips & Images
- Zombie Ass: The Toilet of the Dead - Zombie of the...
- The Hunger Games PSA Posters
- Total Recall: First Look
- Capcom Frenzy
- Dark Shadows: New Character Banners - Undead Monda...
- WWE WrestleMania XXVIII Preview
- ▼ April (30)
- ► 2011 (996)
- ► 2010 (583)