No badges. No names. No mercy. Game for a good old fashioned good cops versus badass Mafia classic drama? Behold Gangster Squad, a straight-up crime drama directed by Ruben Fleischer with a stellar cast featuring Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Sean Penn, and Josh Brolin.
Needless to say, 2009's Zombieland is easily one of our favourite zombie films ever, having won the prestigious accolade of being called "Zombie of the Year 2009" by us here at The Daily Zombies. So you can imagine the surprise in us upon learning that the next project from Ruben Fleischer, the director of Zombieland, is a straight-up crime drama set in the good'ol 1940s.
This is certainly refreshing given the fact that our last brush with period pieces as such was 2009's Public Enemies featuring Christian Bale and Johnny Depp. And now, with a stellar cast featuring Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Sean Penn, and Josh Brolin, we are excited to see where exactly is the talented director heading coming off this Summer.
Without further ado, here's the first trailer of the film.
Is this an updated version of The Untouchables, complete with an extremely well-regarded character actor playing the role of the antagonistic Mafia boss and a star-studded cast as the taskforce set up to bring down the big man? With Fleischer at helm along with a fan-favourite cast featuring Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, we are pretty confident with this one.
Here's the first poster of the film
And these are two of the recently-released set images from the film.
Here's the official synopsis of the film:
Los Angeles, 1949. Ruthless, Brooklyn-born mob king Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn) runs the show in this town, reaping the ill-gotten gains from the drugs, the guns, the prostitutes and—if he has his way—every wire bet placed west of Chicago. And he does it all with the protection of not only his own paid goons, but also the police and the politicians who are under his control. It’s enough to intimidate even the bravest, street-hardened cop…except, perhaps, for the small, secret crew of LAPD outsiders led by Sgt. John O’Mara (Josh Brolin) and Jerry Wooters (Ryan Gosling), who come together to try to tear Cohen’s world apart.
Under the direction of Ruben Fleischer (“Zombieland”), “The Gangster Squad” is a colorful retelling of events surrounding the LAPD’s efforts to take back their nascent city from one of the most dangerous mafia bosses of all time.
The film stars Oscar® nominees Josh Brolin (“Milk,” “True Grit”) and Ryan Gosling (“Half Nelson,” “Blue Valentine”) as the LAPD’s Sgt. John O’Mara and Jerry Wooters; Academy Award® winner Sean Penn (“Milk,” “Mystic River”) as real-life mobster Mickey Cohen; Oscar® nominee Nick Nolte (“Affliction,” “The Prince of Tides”) as LAPD Chief “Whiskey Bill” Parker; and Emma Stone as Grace Faraday, Cohen’s moll and the object of Wooters’ attention.
The screenplay is by Will Beall (TV’s “Castle”), based on Paul Lieberman’s series of articles entitled “Tales From the Gangster Squad.” The film is being produced by Dan Lin (“Sherlock Holmes”), Kevin McCormick (upcoming “The Lucky One”) and Michael Tadross (“Arthur”). The executive producers are Lieberman, Ruben Fleisher and Bruce Berman.
The movie also stars Robert Patrick (“Flags of Our Fathers”) as Officer Max Kennard, a deadly cop who patrols the Olvera Street beat; Michael Peña (“Battle Los Angeles”) as Kennard’s over-eager sidekick, Navidad Ramirez; Giovanni Ribisi (“Avatar”) as the force’s Conway Keeler, an electronics expert who takes as much pleasure in fixing his son’s bike as he does tinkering with experimental, military-grade equipment; and Anthony Mackie (“The Adjustment Bureau”) as Coleman Harris, a switchblade-wielding cop who proudly patrols one of the most crime-ridden areas of the city.
Joining Fleischer behind the scenes are the director’s regular collaborators, production designer Maher Ahmad and editor Alan Baumgarten (“30 Minutes or Less,” “Zombieland”), as well as Academy Award®-winning director of photography Dion Beebe (“Memoirs of a Geisha”) and Oscar®-nominated costume designer Mary Zophres (“True Grit”).
Opening October 12, 2012, “The Gangster Squad” will be distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures.
- WWE ’13: First Look - E3 2012
- X-Men: The Disney Animated Film?
- The Dark Knight Rises - New Posters, TV Spots & Im...
- Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter: Red & Green Band ...
- WATCH Superman VS Hulk - The Fight
- The Dark Knight Rises - New Banners, TV Spots & Im...
- The Walking Dead's Michonne: First Look - Zombie o...
- The Avengers: Blu-ray/DVD Release Details & Offici...
- The Dark Knight Rises: New Posters
- Skyfall: First Look
- Prometheus: New Featurette, Viral Clip, Set Stills...
- The Avengers: Concept Art
- Elementary: First Look
- Hannah Friederichs Pays Tribute to Maurice Sendak ...
- Argo: First Look
- Thor and Loki: Step Brothers
- Gangster Squad: First Look
- Danny Boyle’s Frankenstein: Undead Monday
- Happy Mother's Day from Your Favorite Superheroes ...
- Vindication Series Assembles Video Games' Very Bes...
- WATCH Home: Zombie of the Week
- Come at me Bro, Avengers
- Time Lapse Video Chronicling the Twelve Years Jour...
- Jim Lee's Gatefold Cover for DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 ...
- Dark Shadows: New Set Images - Undead Monday
- The Avengers: Biggest Box-Office Opening Ever
- The Amazing Spider-Man: New Trailer, Posters & Off...
- The Avengers: Final Preview
- The Avengers: Final Mondo Poster
- The Avengers: Clips from Cross-Promotional Marketi...
- The Dark Knight Rises - New Trailer & Images
- ▼ May (31)
- ► 2011 (996)
- ► 2010 (583)