Fan of 2008's Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe? Rejoice yet as Ed Boon, the co-creator of the Mortal Kombat franchise, along with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and NetherRealm Studios, unleashes Injustice: Gods Among Us.
While Marvel Comics has been at the forefront of arcade fighting game with their long-standing collaboration with Capcom, crossing over their iconic comic-book characters with the popular characters of Capcom's large galleries of video games, their Distinguished Competition, DC Comics, isn't exactly resting on their laurels.
In 2008, we saw the release of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe by Warner Bros. Games and the now-defunct Midway Games (incidentally its last title before it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and sold the rights to Mortal Kombat to Warner Bro.). Taking a page from Marvel vs. Capcom, the fighting game featured characters from the violent world of Mortal Kombat crossing into the DC Universe to take on the superheroes and villains we have known and loved. While the title was released to positive reviews, that was the last we saw of the DC characters in a fighting game... until now.
Announced ahead of E3 next week, a new fighting game developed by Ed Boon, the developer behind Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe and incidentally, the co-creator of the Mortal Kombat franchise, and NetherRealm Studios, is set to be released in 2013. In addition, the comic-book writers Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray who wrote Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe will also be back in the new title that have fans in an apparent alternate reality where earth's greatest superheroes have seemingly became great supervillains ever as they fought each other in mortal combat (no pun intended).
With no further ado, hit the jump to check out the trailer.
Fresh off the critically-acclaimed Mortal Kombat in 2011, Boon and NetherRealm Studios are sparing no punches in pushing the envelope with this one. Talking to Kotaku, Boon mentioned, "Superman, for example, can dive in for an attack that so shakes the cave that some hand grenades shake loose from Batman's armory. Superman can then toss them at Grundy. Grundy can smash Superman off the deck they are fighting on and down to where the Batmobile is parked, shifting combat from one more or less 2D area to another. Superman can retreat to the Batmobile, press a button on a computer and have the Batmobile fire rockets at Grundy."
However, for those harbouring some dark fantasy in ripping the Dark Knight's head off, tough luck for that one according to Kotaku.
"DC understandably will never let us cut Batman's head off. They're never going to let us stab Wonder Woman in the face... In this format they're never going to do something like that. Violence is replaced with crazy, over-the-top action," Boon said. "We're making big, action-movie, over-the-top, kind of Transformers, Dark Knight, Spider-Man-type [action]. All the events you see in those kinds of movies is what we're trying to capture in this thing."
We will have more from Injustice: Gods Among Us during E3. For now, check out the official description of the new title followed by some of the screenshots and promotional art released thus far.
What if our greatest heroes became our greatest threat? Injustice: Gods Among Us is an all-new game by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, creators of the definitive fighting game franchise Mortal Kombat. The game is scheduled for release in 2013 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Wii U™.
Here are some of the screenshots released thus far.
Promotional art from the new title.
- ► 2014 (219)
- ► 2013 (366)
- The Avengers X Edward Hopper's Nighthawks
- WATCH Evil Dead: An Animated Tribute - Zombie of t...
- Batman Coming to Smallville in Season 11
- Machete Kills: First Look
- Pixar's Justice League?
- V/H/S: First Look - Undead Monday
- Maleficent: First Look
- The Dark Knight Rises - New Trailer, TV Spots & Pr...
- The Walking Dead Escape - SDCC 2012 - Zombie of th...
- Dredd: First Trailer & Poster
- Mushroom or Dildo? The Chinese Decides
- What If The Avengers Were Made in Japan?
- Dead Space 3: First Look - E3 2012 - Undead Monday...
- Review: The Art of Luke Chueh: Bearing the Unbeara...
- Django Unchained: International Trailer
- Resident Evil: Retribution - Full Trailer & Poster...
- The Avengers: Pixar Animated?
- Star Wars: 1313 - First Look - E3 2012
- Interview with Luke Chueh
- Prometheus: Final Preview - Undead Monday
- Assassin's Creed III: Liberation & New Trailers - ...
- Django Unchained: First Trailer & Images
- R.I.P. Ray Bradbury
- The Last of Us: Gameplay Trailer & New Images - E3...
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - New Gameplay Trai...
- Watch Dogs: First Look - E3 2012
- Iron Man 3: First Look
- ZombiU: First Look - E3 2012 - Undead Monday
- Tomb Raider: Crossroads Trailer - E3 2012
- Injustice: Gods Among Us - First Look - E3 2012
- Les Misérables: First Look
- Hitman: Absolution - Attack of the Saints Trailer ...
- Frank Quitely's Walking Dead #100 Cover - Zombie o...
- ▼ June (33)
- ► 2011 (996)
- ► 2010 (581)