Quite possibly the most iconic evil queen of them all, we get a first look at Angelina Jolie's take on Maleficent in the upcoming live-action film adaptation of the Sleeping Beauty mythos with a touch of evil.
Have we had enough of lackluster, creativity-bankrupt old school fairy tale-turned-big budget Hollywood outings following ABC's Once Upon A Time, Relative Media's Tarsem Singh-directed Mirror Mirror, Universal Pictures's moderately successful Snow White and the Huntsman? Apparently, we don't even hold the answer to this equation.
Here’s the press release:
Burbank, CA (June 19, 2012) – The Walt Disney Studios announced today that production began Wednesday, June 13th, on “Maleficent,” starring Academy Award®–winning actress Angelina Jolie.
Directed by two-time Oscar®-winning production designer Robert Stromberg (“Avatar,” “Alice in Wonderland”), in his directorial debut, and produced by Joe Roth, “Maleficent” is written by Linda Woolverton (“The Lion King,” “Beauty and the Beast”) and executive produced by Angelina Jolie, Don Hahn, Matt Smith and Palak Patel.
Co-starring in the film are Sharlto Copley (“District 9”), Elle Fanning (“Super 8”), Sam Riley (“On the Road”), Imelda Staunton (“Vera Drake”), Miranda Richardson (“The Hours”), Juno Temple (“Atonement”) and Lesley Manville (“Secrets & Lies”).
This is the untold story of Disney’s most beloved villain, Maleficent, from the 1959 classic “Sleeping Beauty.” The film reveals the events that hardened her heart and drove her to curse the baby, Aurora.
Behind-the-scenes talent includes Academy Award®–winning cinematographer Dean Semler (“Dances with Wolves,” “In the Land of Blood and Honey”), production designer Gary Freeman (“Saving Private Ryan,” “The Bourne Supremacy”), two-time Oscar® nominated costume designer Anna B. Sheppard (“Schindler’s List,” “The Pianist”) and seven-time Academy Award–winning makeup artist Rick Baker (“Planet of the Apes,” “Men in Black”).
“Maleficent” is scheduled for a March 14, 2014 release in 3D.
Set to be released in 3D on March 14th, 2014, Maleficent, a film to be directed by Robert Stromberg, will be featuring quite possibly the darkest character in all of Disney's mythology: Maleficent, one of the most iconic villains of Disney history. And what better casting stunt than to have Angelina Jolie cast as Maleficient herself?
Ahead of the inevitable leakage of set images, Disney has released the first image of Jolie as the eponymous antagonist.
And on the day following the release of the official image, we have stumbled upon a number of leaked images from the film.
- The Avengers X Edward Hopper's Nighthawks
- WATCH Evil Dead: An Animated Tribute - Zombie of t...
- Batman Coming to Smallville in Season 11
- Machete Kills: First Look
- Pixar's Justice League?
- V/H/S: First Look - Undead Monday
- Maleficent: First Look
- The Dark Knight Rises - New Trailer, TV Spots & Pr...
- The Walking Dead Escape - SDCC 2012 - Zombie of th...
- Dredd: First Trailer & Poster
- Mushroom or Dildo? The Chinese Decides
- What If The Avengers Were Made in Japan?
- Dead Space 3: First Look - E3 2012 - Undead Monday...
- Review: The Art of Luke Chueh: Bearing the Unbeara...
- Django Unchained: International Trailer
- Resident Evil: Retribution - Full Trailer & Poster...
- The Avengers: Pixar Animated?
- Star Wars: 1313 - First Look - E3 2012
- Interview with Luke Chueh
- Prometheus: Final Preview - Undead Monday
- Assassin's Creed III: Liberation & New Trailers - ...
- Django Unchained: First Trailer & Images
- R.I.P. Ray Bradbury
- The Last of Us: Gameplay Trailer & New Images - E3...
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - New Gameplay Trai...
- Watch Dogs: First Look - E3 2012
- Iron Man 3: First Look
- ZombiU: First Look - E3 2012 - Undead Monday
- Tomb Raider: Crossroads Trailer - E3 2012
- Injustice: Gods Among Us - First Look - E3 2012
- Les Misérables: First Look
- Hitman: Absolution - Attack of the Saints Trailer ...
- Frank Quitely's Walking Dead #100 Cover - Zombie o...
- ▼ June (33)
- ► 2011 (996)
- ► 2010 (583)