You know you want it. The Walking Dead has now officially "walked" over to the social media platform with The Walking Dead Social Game beta now live at Facebook.
There is no doubt that AMC's live-action TV adaptation of The Walking Dead, the acclaimed comic book series created by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard, has been a phenomenal success. And now, as a testament to the franchise's impact on popular culture, The Walking Dead is now a social media game courtesy of Eyes Wide Games.
With a relatively straight-forward title, the beta version of The Walking Dead Social Game is now live on Facebook, providing ever Facebook users a free trial in checking out the game on the social network. Admittedly, the adorable take on the grim-and-gritty survival horror TV series is a refreshing depart from the series though we are happy enough that the game developers didn't just decide to get away with their "creative liberty" and churn out unrelated story arcs.
The game will begin as a prequel to season one where series protagonist Rick Grimes has yet to awake from his coma. Players will be able to meet up with Rick's wife Lori and his former partner and best-friend-forever, Shane. Apart from that, fans of the series might be able to come across a few characters that they will later come across to be more familiar as a Walker.
In an interview with IGN, Stephen Griffin, the CEO of Eyes Wide Games elaborated further on what to expect following the prequel opener:
"Game play takes place in the gaps in between the episodes. All the stuff that you don't see. But we also have reenactment missions. So when something like the camp gets attacked at the quarry [happens], you can play through that. All that kind of stuff will happen outside of your character's narrative. We knew that fans would eventually want to play as Michonne and reenact some parts of the show."
I is understood that the long-term plan for now would be for enough chapters to be released in time in order to catch up with the show's season three première on October 14.
For now, hit the jump to have a sneak peek at the title. For those unable to view the first clip due to country availability, check out the second clip for an extended trailer.
And here are some of the images released thus far.
Here's the official press release from AMC:
AMC and RockYou® today announced the launch of The Walking Dead Social Game," a story-based Facebook game based on AMC's TV series. Fans are invited to step into the zombie-filled world, where they will fight for their lives, help friends survive, and embark on chilling adventures with characters and settings from the show. Click below to play the game now!
The Walking Dead Social Game blends elements of strategy and survival-horror to create a unique, tensioned-filled social gaming experience. Faced with an ever-present threat from man-eating zombies (called "walkers"), players use combat, stealth, and trickery to stay alive and to complete missions in their quest to survive the apocalypse.
"The audience for AMC's The Walking Dead are passionate and deeply interested in the world of the show. Our social game allows them to explore and experience the zombie apocalypse for themselves, along with their friends," said Mac McKean, AMC's SVP of Digital Media.
The game offers a stat system based on the characters' attributes such as stamina, shooting accuracy, range of movement and vision. As you progress, you earn points, based on your skill, which enables you to improve on these stats. This all allows for players to customize the skill-set of the squad members. No one is safe as even the player's own Facebook friends may turn and attack as blood-thirsty walkers. The game was developed by Eyes Wide Games of Atlanta, GA.
"Gamers are ready for a more robust gameplay experience on Facebook," said Josh Grant, svp and GM of Studio Partners at Rock You. "We're bringing a thrilling survival-horror game experience to a more social platform that both long-time gamers and fans new to the gaming space can enjoy."
AMC concluded the second season of The Walking Dead in March of 2012. The episode was viewed by a record-breaking 9 million viewers and the series reigns as the most watched drama series in basic cable for adults 18 to 34, adults 18 to 49 and adults 25 to 54. AMC's The Walking Dead is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. It tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse and follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home.
The Walking Dead Season 3 premieres Sun., Oct. 14 at 9/8c on AMC.
- The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season Limit...
- Killing Them Softly: First Look
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - New Trailer - Gam...
- Alexander Iaccarino's Akira
- ParaNorman: Figures Unveiled - Undead Monday
- How The Dark Knight Rises Should Have Ended
- The Man with the Iron Fists: New Red Band Trailer
- The Last of Us: Gamescom Trailer & PAX Posters - Z...
- Luke Chueh's Avengers Assemble
- The Last Stand: First Look
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Launch Trailers
- Until Dawn: First Look - Gamescom 2012 - Undead Mo...
- WWE '13: Full Roster Unveiled
- The Expendables 2: Final Preview
- ParaNorman: Final Preview - Zombie of the Week
- Robot Chicken DC Comics Special Trailer
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - First Look - G...
- Know Your Street Fighters
- Interview with Ariel S. Winter
- Batman vs. Daredevil in Dustin Nguyen's Demon Nigh...
- Cloud Atlas: New Images
- The Walking Dead Social Game - Zombie of the Week
- Zero Dark Thirty: First Look
- Man of Steel Teaser Trailer, Old School Style
- The Rockabilly Dark Knight
- Emanuele Taglietti's Epic Fumetti Horror Art - Und...
- Welcome to Your Batcave... The Dark Knight Theater...
- Doctor Who: New Trailer
- Cockneys vs. Zombies: Red-Band Trailer - Zombies o...
- X-Men: First Class Sequel is Officially Days of Fu...
- Hilarious Memos from Nick Fury
- ▼ August (31)
- ► 2011 (996)
- ► 2010 (583)